Dealing with Problems

Listen to this page

If there’s anything you’re not happy about while you’re in care it’s really important that you tell someone.

It might be about school or how often you see your family, or it could be about where you are living or the other people living there.  It could be that memories of things that happened before you became looked after are upsetting you. Whatever the problem, your carer should always listen to you if you need to talk, and there are other people you can talk to as well.

You will have the contact details of your Social Worker and an Independent Reviewing Officer in charge of your case. You may also have an Independent Visitor who you can talk to.

Your social worker should make sure you know who to contact for advice, support and assistance between his or her visits.

If you have a problem and need to know who you can talk to about it. Click here.


Click the links below for information and advice on keeping safe from Kent Safeguarding Children Board:




Office of the Children's Commissioner - Advice and Assistance

Anne Longfield is the Children's Commissioner, her team can provide help and advice to children in care and care leavers. If you have any concerns about your rights, your welfare and safety you can get in touch with them:

  • Freephone: 0800 528 0731 (free from a landline, but may cost from a mobile)
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 A full guide to this service can be found here


Freephone Advocacy Line - Young Lives Foundation

Advocacy support is always led by the young person's wishes and their individual needs. Young people can be supported in a variety of ways, depending on their personal circumstances and the issues they require help with. Advocates can:

  • Make telephone calls or send emails on behalf of young people
  • Give advice on rights and entitlements to help make informed decisions
  • Attend important meetings to help young people express their views
  • Help to write letters or navigate the formal complaints process

You can ring 0808 164 0096 free from any number, including mobiles

Council Offices