If you are worried about someone

Listen to this page

If someone you love is using drugs it can be really upsetting. You might be feeling worried or angry because they won't stop or feeling guilty and think you must be responsible in some way. It's not easy to cope with these feelings but there are some things that you can do that will help:

Understand that it's not your fault

The person using drugs is responsible for the choices they make. They are the ones who decided to use drugs and only they can decide when stop. All you can do is encourage them to stop and offer love and support when they do.

Don't bottle it up

It's much better to talk to someone in your family, your carer, friend, teacher or someone else you trust about how you are feeling. There are some organisations that you can contact at the bottom of this page who you can talk to confidentially.

You can love the person but hate the drugs

It can feel very uncomfortable and strange when you love someone but hate something that they do, like using drugs. Some people end up feeling really torn and confused about these mixed feelings. Sometimes the person can be really wonderful when they haven't used drugs and really horrible when they're using them. This is the drugs making them change, and not the real person.

Don't be ashamed

Knowing and caring about someone who has a drug problem is nothing to be ashamed of. People from all sorts of backgrounds can have drug problems. It's not nice and can be very upsetting but it's not something to be ashamed of. Some people get picked on or bullied because a person that they care about is using drugs. If this is happening to you talk to someone you trust, like your carer, friend social worker or a teacher.

More information and support in Kent

KCA Young Person’s Service is based in Kent is free and confidential. Its easy to see a worker at a venue of your choice for a chat. They see children and young people between the ages of 10-18 who have or are misusing drugs or alcohol or at risk of using:

  • Call East & Mid Kent: 01227 456744. West Kent and Medway: 01634 338640. Click for more information: http://www.kca.org.uk/
  • ADFAM National - Information and support for the people who are worried about someone they know using drugs or alcohol as well as details of local support groups. Call: 0845 1200 660
  • FRANK - straight up, unbiased information about drugs. Call 0800 77 66 00 (open 24 hrs a day)
  • Release - advice, counselling and support on drugs and legal problems. Call 020 7749 4034
  • Alateen - help and support for teenagers who are worried about an alcoholic friend or family member. Call 020 7403 0888 (open 10am - 10pm everyday), Or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Childline - General help and support. Call 0800 11 11 Talk to a counsellor online http://www.childline.org.uk/pages/home.aspx
  • Alcoholics Anonymous - advice and support about alcohol. Call 0845 769 7555 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Addaction - Drug and alcohol treatment agency that offers local branches and helplines. Call 0207 251 5860 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Drinkline - Confidential telephone help, information and advice for anyone worried about alcohol. Call 0800 917 8282
Health Centre