Got a problem? Who can I talk to?

Listen to this page

Always speak to your social worker, they are there to listen to you, support you and always want your best interests to come first – this doesn’t mean they will always agree with you, or you will do what you want, but ultimately they will be the person who can help you work through issues and guide you to the best solution.


Talk to a designated teacher at school, they too are there to support you and can pass on any information with your agreement to the social worker, unless it is something that puts you at risk, then they have a duty of care to report this without your agreement.


Talk to the CiC Specialist Nurse, they too are there to support you with not only medical needs but emotional health issues and they can pass on concerns to your social worker.
Talk to your carers – whether they are foster carers or supported lodging providers, they too are there to help support and guide you and can also talk to your social worker for you if you can’t.
Talk to the IRO (the person who oversees your care plan), they too are there to ensure you receive the best and most appropriate care.
Talk to your Connexions worker if you are aged 13 -1 9, they too can offer a personal advisory service for you.
Always remember there are lots of people around you that can help you, listen to and ensure that your views are heard.


Advocacy - Young Lives Foundation

What if you feel that you are not being listened to by any of the people above? Are you unhappy about decisions being made about your life or need information about your rights? Do you need some independent advice?

An advocate is someone who helps you to make sure that your voice is heard, they are independent from Kent County Council and are always there to listen and support you.

Advocates at the Young Lives Foundation Advocacy Service will give you independent advice and any support that you need. They will meet with you and give you advice, they will help you in meetings with your social worker or PA, and they can also help you to write letters or make complaints.

You can speak to a Young Lives Foundation advocate now!

  • Phone: 0808 164 0096 (free from all phones, including mobiles)
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Online:



Visit Kent Safeguarding Children Board for information and advice on the following topics:


Office of the Children's Commissioner - Advice and Assistance

Anne Longfield is the Children's Commissioner, her team can provide help and advice to children in care and care leavers. If you have any concerns about your rights, your welfare and safety you can get in touch with them:

  • Freephone: 0800 528 0731 (free from a landline, but may cost from a mobile)
  • Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 A full guide to this service can be found here


Home Sweet Home