Moving On


Important Documents


Important Documents

We all need important documents because without them we are unable to do simple things such as apply for a course, claim benefits or open a bank account.

Once you are a care leaver, the Care Leavers 18+ Service will ensure that you have the important documents that you require in adulthood, such as your passport and birth certificate. We will also keep copies of your important documents safely in our files although keeping the original versions safe is your responsibility.

Your National Insurance Number

When you are 15 years and 9 months old, we will apply for you to have a National Insurance Number. You should ask your social worker if you do not receive this. You no longer receive a National Insurance Card so you will need to keep this number safe. You will need it to apply for benefits or apply for a job.

Your Passport

We will support you with an application for a 10-year passport. We will fund the application for a Travel Document for our asylum care leavers. This will be your main form of identification and will be needed when you apply for a job, open a bank account, move home or travel abroad among other things. It is therefore, very important that you keep it safe. If you do lose it, you will have to pay for a new one.

Your Birth Certificate

If you do not have a birth certificate, we will help you apply to get one. If you lose it, you will need to pay for a new one.

British Citizenship

If you are entitled to apply for British Citizenship before the age of 18, then we will support you to do this.

Access to your File

If you apply for access to your file, then we will provide you with access to your social services files from the age of 18. If you would like to see your file, please make a request in writing and hand it to your personal adviser who will make the appropriate arrangements.

We encourage you to think about this decision very carefully as you may find your file difficult to read. However, we will offer you full support if you choose to do so.

Provisional Driving Licence

Once you are a care leaver and being supported by the Care Leavers 18+ Service, we will pay 50% towards your provisional driving licence and your theory and practical driving tests, if you need to learn to drive for education and training purposes. If this is agreed, we will pay 50% for a maximum of 20 lessons.

If you lose your licence you will have to pay for a new one and if you do not turn up for driving lessons, we will discontinue our contribution.