Skip to main content

Moving On


The Role of the Personal Adviser

The Role of the Personal Adviser

When you turn 18-years old, your Social Worker will be replaced with a Personal Adviser. The role of your Personal Adviser is to become your main point of contact and continue supporting you at least until you turn 21 years old.  However, they can support you until you are 25 if you need or want further support. Your Personal Adviser will be identified for you after you become 17-years old; this is so you can begin to build a relationship with them before they become your allocated worker.  The Care Leavers 18+ Service refer to this as transition working.

Your Personal Adviser will keep in contact with you and arrange meetings.  They will visit you at home, university and arrange out of county and community visits. You, as the young adult, are entitled to make the decisions and choices that help unfold your future as an adult.  Your Personal Adviser will provide you with advice, information and guidance to help you make the best choices and decisions. The relationship between yourself and your Personal Adviser is important so you can make the most of what you can access through the Care Leavers 18+ Service.

Click on a link below to find out more...

What our Local Offer is to you About our Care Leavers 18+ Service What you can expect from your Corporate Parents The Role of the Personal Adviser Understanding your Pathway Plan Useful Documents as you prepare to Leave Care