Who can I talk to if I have a problem?

If you are unhappy about something, it is important that you talk to someone. Sometimes this could be someone you see regularly like your foster carer, Social Worker, Independent Reviewing Officer or teacher. You can also use the Mind of My Own app to share your views.

Talking to an advocate

If you don’t want to talk to someone you already know, you can talk to an advocate. An advocate is independent as they do not work for Kent County Council. Their role is to listen to any problems you have and offer you help and advice.  If you let them, advocates can come to your Review Meetings and contact people who work with you.

Kent County Council works with the Young Lives Foundation. You can contact them directly or ask someone to telephone them for you. Their phone number is 0808 164 0096 or you can email advocacy@ylf.org.uk.

Click here to find out more about what an advocate is and how they can help you.

Making a complaint

If you want to make a complaint about something, you can also talk to or write to our Complaints Team.

  • Call: 0300 333 5384
  • Email: cscomplaints@kent.gov.uk
  • Write: Kent County Council, Children’s Complaints Team, Kroner House, Eurogate Business Park, Ashford, Kent, TN24 8XU

Office of the Children’s Commissioner - Advice and Assistance

Anne Longfield is the Children’s Commissioner. Her team can provide help and advice to Children In Care and Care Leavers. If you have any concerns about your rights, your welfare or your safety you can get in touch with them:

  • Phone for free on 0800 528 0731
  • Email help.team@childrenscommissioner.gsi.gov.uk

Or you can message them via an online app by visiting the website


Become is a leading charity supporting children in care and care leavers. If you are looking for advice or help about anything to do with your care, you can contact their friendly advice line.

  • Call 0800 023 2033
  • Email advice@becomecharity.org.uk

Or, go to the website, to find out more about the help they can give you.

Child line

You can contact Child Line to talk about any worries you have whenever you want. No problem is too big or too small. You don’t even have to give your name if you don’t want to.

Call 0800 1111 at any time.

Find out more about contacting Child Line by going to their website. The website also has lots of useful information to help you deal with a wide range of issues and problems.