Skip to main content

Moving On


Further Education

Further Education

You will be supported if you are in further education. There are several funds available to you (although this can change each academic year):

16 – 19 Bursary for children in care and care leavers

For those studying a fully recognised qualification at either a school, college or training provider and aged between 16 and 19, you may be entitled to the 16 – 19 bursary. The bursary is to support educational related costs, including travel. Each education provider can administer the bursary how they wish. You will often meet with your education provider to discuss any course related costs (e.g. travel, kit and equipment) and agree how to use the bursary. In some cases, you may receive payments so will need a bank account in your own name. You will need to apply for the bursary from your student services adviser at college before you start the course,

For the 16-19 bursary, you need to ensure you are clear of the educational provider’s requirements for receiving it e.g. 95% attendance or good behaviour. Your attendance and behaviour will be monitored.

Find out more about the 16-19 Bursary here.

Discretionary Learner Support Fund

If you are aged 19 or over and are finding it difficult to access further education or training at your college, you may be able to apply to the Discretionary Learner Support Fund.

This fund is for students who are facing financial hardship and may be used for:

  • Travel costs and accommodation
  • Essential course equipment and materials 
  • Child care costs (if you are aged 20 and over at the start of your course)

You should speak to the education provider about the fund before starting any course as it comes from them. If you are advised that it is not available, immediately discuss this with your Personal Adviser who can assist you.

Find out more about the Discretionary Learner Support Fund here.

Care to Learn

For young parents, aged under 20 at the start of their course, there is government funding in place to assist with nursery and child minder costs. You should speak to your education provider before you start your course about applying for this.

Find out more about Care to Learn here.

Click on a link below to find out more...

Choices at 16 and beyond 18+ EET Team Learning full-time – Further Education Financial Support for Further Education Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) Apprenticeships and Training Volunteering and Work Experience University University Support for Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Young People Additional Education Payments Travel Costs Studying away from home Finding Work Care Leaver Covenant Useful Links