Skip to main content

Moving On


Travel Costs

Travel Costs

If you live in Kent, the Care Leavers 18+ Service will provide you with a ‘KCC 16+ travel card (care) which you can use up until the age of 21 years (subject to the travel pass offer and application criteria set by the transport service at the time of application).

In exceptional circumstances, consideration will be given to additional payments if you have to travel outside of Kent in the UK. This will need to be agreed by the 18+ Care Leavers Service Manager / Head of Service.

We can support with travel costs for returning to Kent during university holidays. We can also offer three additional trips to cover travel for visits back ‘home’ outside of the holiday times.

If you are in full time education or training and living and learning in London, you are able to access one of the following:

  • 16+ Oyster Card - this offers free travel on buses and trams across London
  • 18+ Oyster Card - this offers 30% off the cost of an adult travel fare 

If you are aged under 19 and in full-time education, please apply for the 16+ Oyster Card (not the 18+) as you are eligible for free travel.

We will pay a £10 administration cost for you to get an oyster card or equivalent for the area you live in.

Click on a link below to find out more...

Choices at 16 and beyond 18+ EET Team Learning full-time – Further Education Financial Support for Further Education Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) Apprenticeships and Training Volunteering and Work Experience University University Support for Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Young People Additional Education Payments Travel Costs Studying away from home Finding Work Care Leaver Covenant Useful Links